All Posts Tagged With: "authors"
I realize some of you Words To Mouth followers are readers and some are listeners to the podcast—some are both…For those of you who enjoy listening to podcasts, I feel compelled to make a suggestion. I’ve been listening to an amazing podcast called The Moth where various storytellers … well, read the indented description below and then go to the site and/or subscribe to the show on iTunes and enjoy.
“What is The Moth?” from the website
The Moth, a not-for-profit storytelling organization, was founded in New York in 1997 by poet and novelist George Dawes Green, who wanted to recreate in New York the feeling of sultry summer evenings on his native St. Simon’s Island, Georgia, where he and a small circle of friends would gather to spin spellbinding tales on his friend Wanda’s porch. After moving to New York, George missed the sense of connection he had felt sharing stories with his friends back home, and he decided to invite a few friends over to his New York apartment to tell and hear stories. Thus the first “Moth” evening took place in his living room. Word of these captivating story nights quickly spread, and The Moth moved to bigger venues in New York. Today, The Moth conducts six ongoing programs and has brought more than 3,000 live stories to over 100,000 audience members.
“Why ‘The Moth’?” from the website
The screen around Wanda’s porch had a hole where moths would flutter in and get trapped in the light. Similarly, George and his friends found that the characters in their best stories would often find themselves drawn to some bright light—of adventure, ambition, knowledge—but then find themselves burned or trapped, leaving them with some essential conflict to face before the story could reach its conclusion. So George and his original group of storytellers called themselves “The Moths”. George took the name with him to New York, where he hoped that New Yorkers, too, would find themselves drawn to storytelling as moths to a flame. They did. With no advertising, through sheer word of mouth, every show to date has sold out in 48 hours or less.
Oh, and after you listen, I’d LOVE for you to share your favorites below in the comment section—share which ones and please share WHY—why does it elicit a response, a reaction—what resonates with you? I may just have to grab some of the many books I receive from so many gifted authors and send them your way as an expression of gratitude 😉 Is that unfair—for me to just pick a particular comment and decide which one I think is worthy of a few free books? Maybe…Regardless, I encourage you to check out The Moth, enjoy…and share.
Book Drawing Winners:
- Kristi N. – The Soccer Mom Myth, Michele Miller & Holly Buchanan
- Maggie (Girls Night In) – Barefoot, Elin Hilderbrand
- *Ginger – Grammar Girl’s Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing, Mignon Fogarty
- *Jen – M.I.L.D.E.W., Liz Bluper and Renee Plastique (one more copy available after interview early October)
- *Angela – The Mouth Trap, Gary Seigel, PhD
- *Kim – Sweet Talk, Susan Mallery
- *Cindi – Money, Sex, and Kids, Dr. Tina Tessina, PhD
- Michele M. – The Mistress’s Daughter, A.M. Homes
- Alane and *Barely (of Barely Podcasting) – The 7 Pitfalls of Single Parenting, Carolyn Ellis (2 copies)
- *Tara – Hot Properties, Carly Philips
- *Jennifer (Writing to Survive) – Trust Me, Brenda Novak
- *Rosemary – He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not, Trish Ryan
- *Mac – Well Fed Writer/Publisher, Peter Bowerman