All Posts Tagged With: "podcast"
Written over a period of ten years, Third Wish is an epic novel that is above all – a love story – not in the usual sense, but the story of people who love life and go to great lengths to live it in a flourishing way. In fairy tales, the third wish is the last one left when the first wish was foolish, and the second wish was used to undo the first. Now the remaining wish must be used wisely and well – with the help of co-conspirators. The story threads its way through Greece, Japan, France, England, Spain and Seattle. Woven into the fabric is cultural history, art, philosophy, archeology, poetry, theater and music. The mode of the novel is contained in these three words: SLOWLY, SURPRISE, WITNESS. The two-volume set is divided into five parts and includes over 150 illustrations by three accomplished artists.Come experience THIRD WISH and don’t forget to listen to the companion music!
ROBERT FULGHUM INTERVIEWS ROBERT FULGHUM
(from his website)
Robert: Well, Mr. Fulghum, what’s new?
Robert: I’ll answer with a joke. An old geezer is sitting in the confessional booth of a Roman Catholic Church. The priest is surprised. He’s seen the man in the neighborhood, but he’s not a member of the parish. “What can I do for you?” asks the priest. Exuberantly the old man blurts out, “I’m eighty today and I’m in love with a beautiful 25 year old woman who spent the night with me. And she’s moving in to live with me.” The priest replies: “Aren’t you Jewish?” “Yes,” says the old man. “So why are you telling me?” The old man shouts, “I’m telling EVERBODY!”
Robert: Crude, but I get the point. You’re excited about . . . ?
Robert: The publication in English of my novel, Third Wish. At last. Something I was beginning to think would never happen. (Hence the joke.)
Robert: But wasn’t Third Wish published first in Czech – several years ago?
Robert: Yes. And that’s a lovely story you’ll find elsewhere in this revised website (Third Wish – Czech Edition). But having it published in English was my great hope. I’m telling EVERYBODY!
Robert: Keep going . . .
Robert: So the next day, the same priest finds the same old man sitting on a park bench, holding his face in his hands. The priest walks up and says, “I thought you were very happy.” “I was,” whispers the old man. “Weren’t you telling me you had a beautiful young girl friend who moved in with you?” “It’s true,” whispered the old man, “she’s at my house now.” “Then what’s wrong?” The old man looked up, tears streaming down his face, and said, “I don’t remember where I live.” MORE
- Robert’s wonderful blog post on the Emergency Meeting of the Security Council ,p>
- Robert’s Other Books, including All I Really Need To Know I Learned in Kindergarten and It Was On Fire When I Lay Down On It
- Robert’s Favorite Author: Chaucer
- Robert loves reading so much, he spent $9,000 on books last year! That’s NINE THOUSAND DOLLARS!! Wow!
- Robert’s next book: IF YOU LOVE ME STILL, WILL YOU STILL LOVE ME MOVING? Tales from the Century Ball Room
- Play Fulghum’s game to get to know people better: Left, Right, Surprise!! Share and find out things about one another you’d never think to ask…and you’ll be amazed what you never knew you never knew!
- Visit Robert Fulghum’s Website:
Enter to Win a FREE PERSONIZED copy of THIRD WISH:
Subscribe to the Words To Mouth e-newsletter
Leave a Comment Below about YOUR third wish
Call 206-309-7318 and leave a voice mail message I can play on-air
U.S. & Canada residents only; No P.O. Boxes, please
Deadline: May 15th, 2009 ~ midnight, EST
WTM Author Promotional Services
As host of Words To Mouth (WTM), I receive countless inquiries and day after day, book after book, email after email, the same pesky question keeps nagging me; “How can I help support more ‘under-promoted authors,’ while maintaining the integrity of the valuable product I’ve worked so hard to create?”
I’ve received such glowing responses from authors, publicists, and readers and I absolutely love what I’m doing here at Words To Mouth. I’ve come to realize digital media—specifically, blogs and Internet talk shows (podcasts)—provide unparalleled exposure to book-lover niche markets that other media outlets simply can’t. Words To Mouth is unique from other biblio-sites, because it offers both an author interview blog and audio talk show. I’ve wracked my brain to come up with a mutually-beneficial approach to encourage more authors while maintaining Words To Mouth’s reputation…and balance my own time and efforts.
Here’s WHAT ~ A Two-tiered Promotional Program:
- Featured Authors: These highlighted authors/books are spotlighted scrolling at the top premier spot on the WTM website. You’ll most likely find these authors prominently displayed on your booksellers shelves–some well-known, some first-time authors. These author interviews are differentiated as “Featured Authors” and are posted without compensation. Readers love learning more about their favorite authors and these top-level authors help increase website traffic, which in turn increases lesser known authors’ exposure. It’s a win-win!
- Paid Promotions: “Under-promoted Authors” can take advantage of the WTM platform by choosing from three affordable options detailed below.
Paid Promotion Options:
- “Across Carrie’s Desk” Collection – Book Listing (Three authors per post MAX): This type of blog post includes up to three highlighted authors with the author name, book title & description, author website link, and book jacket image/Amazon link (so viewers can go directly to purchase your book). Viewers/Readers will enter to win the entire book collection. For a sample blog post, CLICK HERE Cost: $25 (which includes book shipping cost to contest winner).
- Author Showcase – A written author interview (See Authors Page for questions) with all the above referenced components, plus author headshot photo. If you have a video book trailer, be sure to send me the link. For a sample blog post, CLICK HERE Cost: $100 This is great for cross-promoting via “Check out my interview on Words To Mouth” links on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.
- Customized Audio Interview – A minimum fifteen minute audio interview in the standard WTM format. For sample, CLICK HERE to LISTEN (See Authors Page for template questions, but you will have the opportunity to add/tailor questions specific to your book) Interview will post on Words To Mouth website, plus be distributed via RSS Feed to iTunes and multiple directories. Cost: $200 (Introductory Offer). Some options on how to utilize this interview are to: 1) provide link on author’s website and/or social media outlets, 2) include interview link in online press release, 3) use as interview practice for radio/TV interview spots, and 4) send as a demo for other radio/TV spots.
Added-Value at NO Additional Cost: WTM’s semi-regular e-newsletter is distributed to an ever-growing niche audience and connects you with even more interested readers. I also actively participate on various digital/social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, etc. I post updates regularly to simply “join in the conversation” as well as encourage viewers to visit my site…and, in turn, your WTM blog post.
Special Offer: First 10 authors to sign up for the Author Showcase will receive the package for only $75
Here’s HOW to GET STARTED!
First Things First:
- Email me a press release or brief description of your book with a link to your website (Carrie@WordsToMouth.com).
- I will get back to you within 24 hours via email to let you know if your book has been approved. Then, you can simply follow the instructions below.
- I retain the right to decline any books. Hint: Romance, not Erotica ~ Sci-fi Thriller, not Horror.
Send Two copies of your book to: Carrie Runnals, 109 Meadowlark Trace, Peachtree City, GA 30269
For any of the Three Packages be sure to send me all pertinent information in an email attachment; .jpeg book jacket image, .jpeg headshot photo, website link, book description, and press release (if you have one).
If you choose the Author Showcase option, visit the Authors Page on my website and answer all/any questions you’d like included in the interview. I’m flexible and will work with you to include questions that are more specific to your book if you’d like. These questions are just a template to give you some ideas. We can work together to best convey your message to potential readers.
If you choose the Audio Interview option, please provide your phone number and I will call you about the questions you’d like included and schedule the interview. We can pull from the questions listed on the Authors Page as well as come up with some specific to your book, so we’re sure to convey what you’d like.
Don’t forget to provide payment via PayPal button on website or “snail mail.”
Just a Few Guidelines:
- Published Bound or Audio Books Only; no e-books, .pdf files, or unbound manuscripts
- If your book is in podcast format, you must make a CD package available for the book-giveaway contest
- Payments are due in advance via PayPal or check via “snail mail” postal service.
- Posts will remain on Words To Mouth for a year from publication with option to renew.
- I retain the right to refuse any books and edit interviews at my discretion.
Here’s WHEN: NOW!!
Why Wait? Seize the Opportunity! Don’t Miss Out!
**If you are interested in placing an ad on the Words To Mouth website and/or e-newsletter, please email me at Carrie@WordsToMouth.com
Free Audio Books for Readers & Sage Advice for AuthorsJoin Evo and me as we talk about books, authors, and the benefits of podcasting and social media. This show is not only for published authors or aspiring authors, but it’s for readers, too. Visit Podiobooks and get a taste for just how many books are available for you to download to your computer/ipod for FREE.
About Evo (Podiobooks Bio):
From independently funded start-ups to multi-million dollar ebusiness projects, Evo Terra has been leading internet and ecommerce strategic development since 1999. His specialty is in discovering emergent technologies and adapting them to meet a variety of wants and needs. Prior to Podiobooks.com, he consulted with industry-leading search platforms as they developed their local search properties, directed ebusiness for a $2BB retail organization, and managed over $10MM of online media funds on behalf of various best-of-class advertising clients. Evo also has a penchant for good literature, co-hosting Dragon Page Cover to Cover, one of the first podcasts ever and is focused on authors of speculative fiction. Additionally, he is recognized as a pioneer in the podcasting world, and co-authored Podcasting for Dummies (TM) along with Tee Morris.
A bit about N.M. (“Nicole”) Kelly:
N.M. Kelby is the author of Murder at the Bad Girl’s Bar and Grill, Whale Season, In the Company of Angels, and Theater of the Stars. Named “Outstanding Southern Artist” by The Southern Arts Federation, her work has been translated into several languages and offered by The Literary Guild, Doubleday Book Club, and Quality Paperback Book Club. Nicole is working on the film version of Whale Season along with Actor/Singer Dwight Yoakam.
Murder at the Bad Girl’s Bar and Grill:
Laguna Key is a typical South Florida beachfront retirement community, mired in a swamp. It has everything you need including vultures, bats, the rumor of a resident Skunk Ape, and an authentic tiki bar with a Barry Manilow tribute artist. But, unfortunately, no golf. When a body is found in the dumpster near the Bad Girl’s Bar and Grill, the town’s secrets start to unravel. Who’s the killer? Is it Whit, Laguna Key’s loopy millionaire developer? The righteous, yet befuddled, president of the town’s Chamber of Commerce? Or the saxophone-playing stranger who lurks in the mangrove swamp? Helping to solve the mystery are a quartet of unlikely investigators: the community’s only cop, a beach boy (on many levels of the term) who flunked out of the F.B.I.; MacBeth’s last living relative, a charismatic kilt-wearing clown who runs the Rose and Puppet Circus; the Developer’s beautiful daughter, left blind after a scuba accident; and the glamorous owner of the Bad Girl’s Bar and Grill, “The Queen of Scream,” who once starred in a string of horror films. As they hunt for the killer, they have their own misadventures, including run-ins with the law, thwarted kidnappings, and stirrings of love.
Quick & Wordy? Yeah, right…sometimes the best intentions turn out differently from our initial expectations—that’s why I try hard not to have too many—expectations, that is. After I recorded the “Quick & Wordy” intro, I started speaking with Nicole and I wasn’t about to cut her off, based on some pre-conceived time limit ~ She’s lovely and so eager to share about the writing craft and her life, so sit back and enjoy.
The book was inspired by a number of nameless homeless men who were found murdered in Sarasota and “no one seemed to care,” according to Nicole. She Googled “Homeless Guy” and suggests checking out Kevin Barbieux’s blog site, The Homeless Guy—He chronicles homelessness in America.
- “I think that life can be a morbid adventure and we all need to be reminded to laugh and take a moment to look at the beauty that is around us.”
- “Being mentored saved my life,”…listen in to find out how Nicole turned pain positive.
- “What a gracious man,” Nicole says of Carl Hiaasen. She says what she learned from this writing mentor was “It’s not just about the craft, but how to live in the craft.”
- “Everything I write, I write with a broken heart,” says Nicole referring to the death of her daughter Hannah. “It’s [writing] hysterical, but it has weight to it.”
- “I think when you write a book you begin a conversation with the world…and you just can’t walk out,” says Nicole about her relationship with her readers.
Don’t be held hostage to your computer ~ subscribe on iTunes to get Words To Mouth delivered to your computer for free, then download to your preferred MP3 player & listen wherever and whenever you want ~ See link above my photo.
I’ve got one more copy of Murder at The Bad Girl’s Bar & Grill ~ Leave a comment below or call 206–309–7318 and leave a voice mail message to be entered to win!
As always, “Thanks” to Natalie Brown for her song You Gotta Believe from the Podsafe Music Network.
Janelle Brown is author of ALL WE EVER WANTED WAS EVERYTHING and an essayist and journalist. Her writing appears regularly in Vogue, The New York Times, Elle, Wired, Self, The Los Angeles Times, and numerous other publications. Previously, she spent five years as a senior writer at Salon, covering a diverse range of subjects — from Internet culture to the war on drugs, pop culture to style, public policy issues and the digital music movement– and began her career as a staff writer at Wired, working on seminal Web sites like HotWired and Wired News during the heydey of the dotcom boom. In the 1990’s, she was also the editor and co-founder of Maxi, an irreverent (and now, long-gone) women’s pop culture magazine. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband, filmmaker Greg Harrison, and their very spoiled dog, Guster.**
ALL WE EVER WANTED WAS EVERYTHING**
Set amid the country club gossip and rampant affluenza of Silicon Valley’s nouveau riche, All We Ever Wanted Was Everything is a smart, acerbic comedy chronicling one eventful summer when the lives of the Miller family are turned upside-down.
After his pharmaceutical company’s explosive IPO, Paul Miller leaves his wife Janice for her tennis partner, attempting to cut her out of nearly a half-billion dollars. Eldest daughter Margaret is on the run from her creditors after her fledgling post-feminist magazine Snatch implodes; and neglected Lizzie, a naïve teen enjoying a newfound popularity with boys at school, discovers that she’s actually become the school slut. The three Miller women retreat behind the walls of their Georgian colonial to wage battle with divorce lawyers, debt collectors, drug-dealing pool boys, mean girls, country club ladies, evangelical neighbors, their own demons, and each other.
“My second grade teacher was right.”*
The six word memoir book Janelle mentions:
Not Quite What I was Planning: Six Word Memoirs from Writers Famous and Obscure collects almost 1,000 six-word memoirs, including additions from many celebrities including Stephen Colbert, Amy Sedaris, Dave Eggers, Richard Ford, Deepak Chopra, Moby, and more. A New York Times bestseller and subject of hundreds of stories from The New Yorker to NPR and hailed as “American haiku,” SMITH’s book of six-word memoirs is both a moving peek at the minutia of humanity and the most inspirational toilet reading you’ll ever find.
I especially appreciated Janelle’s openness and honesty in sharing with us what at one time she saw as a mistake, but what ultimately turned out to be a silver-lined cloud. Check out her website at www.JanelleBrown.com
To win a copy of All We Ever Wanted Was Everything, leave a comment below, post a review on iTunes, and/or call 206-309-7318 and leave a voice mail message I can play on-air.
Click the arrow below to listen or better yet, subscribe on iTunes…
Take good care until next time.
Thanks to Natali Brown for You’ve Gotta Believe from the Podsafe Music Network
**Adapted from Brown’s website
Just a casual conversation with two authors who love wine and writing ~ Lani Diane Rich (Wish You Were Here) and Samantha Graves (Out of Time)WARNING: If this is the first Words To Mouth audio interview you’ve listened to…BEWARE!
This is a three-way telephone conversation and we had some issues with sound quality. Please be forgiving. Sometimes there’s a bit of overlap or extraneous noise…Specifically, something was a bit amiss with Lani’s phone line (found out later, her mic was mismatched), but just hang in there and bare with us ~ it really was a blast talking to these two writers and obvious heartfelt girlfriends.
Learn about their books, their shared podcast & forum, their advice for writers and just enjoy their fun-loving friendship…I sure did—Lots of Laughs!
To win a FREE copy of Lani and/or Sam’s new releases, leave a comment below or call 206-309-7318 and leave a voice mail message.
HURRY and go enter to win a beautiful diamond necklace at Sam’s website…time is of the essence!
- Samantha Graves Website
- Lani Diane Rich Website
- Will Write for Wine Podcast
- Will Write for Wine Forum
- Dogs and Godesses Website
- NanoWrimo – Write 50,000 word novel in 30 Days
- Romance Writers of America
Thanks to Natali Brown for You Gotta Believe from the Podsafe Music Network.
It truly was a delight to speak with Bonnie Glover. She is encouraging and an inspiration. Listen in (Click gray arrow below) and then please let us know what you think…Comment or Call–details below!
Publishers Weekly Review:
Bonnie J. Glover weaves the stories of three generations of African American women in a tale both familiar and surprising. In the early 1960s, 15-year-old Olivia Jean tells her parents she is pregnant, and her father, Turk, and mother, Daisy, decide to take Olivia to Daisy’s mother’s house in Cold Water Springs, Ala., to avoid a scandal in their Brooklyn neighborhood. The plan is for Daisy and Turk to return to Brooklyn and leave Olivia in the care of her grandmother, Birdie. But Birdie insists that Daisy remain as well. Daisy is deeply resentful of her mother, who ran a bootlegging operation in their dry county when Daisy was young, but she agrees to stay, and over the next few months, all three women learn about themselves. While the arc may seem familiar, Glover does an admirable job of avoiding cliché (as when Daisy and Birdie attempt to resolve their conflicts with a wrestling match) and provides readers with an absorbing setting and a complex family.
Bonnie Just Finished Reading:
One of Bonnie’s Favorite Authors:
AND…Bonnie recommends GoodReads as a source for finding excellent book picks!
Check out her wonderful website at: www.BonnieGlover.com
Be sure to leave a comment below or call 206–309–7318 and leave a voice mail comment to be entered to win a FREE copy of Going Down South.
Thanks to Natalie Brown for You’ve Gotta Believe from the Podsafe Music Network and don’t forget to subscribe to Words To Mouth on iTunes!
Take good care…until next time.
**Scroll down and click gray button to listen to interview
As you may be aware, I originally posted a review on He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (see earlier post) and Trish and I went back-and-forth a bit in conversation on our blogs. Some of you provided some great listener/viewer comments, so I went ahead and asked Trish to be on the show.
Initially, this interview started out as a Quick & Wordy, but ended up not-so-quick.
I am one to go-with-the-flow and that’s what I’ve done here. I didn’t want to cut our conversation short, just because I was trying to be…well, short. So, if it ended up being a bit longer than you would have preferred for a Quick & Wordy, my apologies…I’m a firm believer in letting things take us where they may.
Trish was so willing to open up and share herself with us and I wanted to give her ample opportunity. I realize I shared my spiritual beliefs and I hope that is okay and not a turn-off for you…just simply that, my beliefs, without judgments on anyone else’s beliefs. Regardless, I enjoyed my conversation with Trish and getting to know her and I hope you will as well.
Feel free to post or email comments for Trish and I’ll make sure she gets them ~ Let’s start a conversation!
To win a FREE copy of Trish’s He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not, leave a comment below or call 206-309-7318 and leave a voice mail I can play on-air. If I don’t already have your mailing address, send it to me at Carrie@WordsToMouth.com.
Click the arrow below to listen or subscribe on iTunes to get Words To Mouth delivered to your computer for free–so you can listen wherever and whenever you want.
Thanks to Natali Brown for You Gotta Believe from the Podsafe Music Network.
Take care…until next time.
Double Trouble, Tee Morris and Philippa Ballantine (author audio interview) The Case of the Pitcher’s Pendant and Digital Magic
A date to remember not only because
it’s Fantasy novelist Pip Ballantine’s birthday…
Tee describes Double Trouble best in this clip from his website:
“Double Trouble is where Pip and I make 08-08-08 our day on Amazon,” says Tee. “Between our respective podcasts, mailing lists, and a media blitz spanning across podcasts and live radio shows, we’re asking our readers and listeners to buy The Case of The Pitcher’s Pendant and Digital Magic. Our goal is to get not one but two Dragon Moon titles into Amazon’s Top Ten lists.” Authors Scott Sigler and Seth Harwood accomplished similar feats on their own Amazon Days (Sigler on April 1, Harwood on March 16), but this promotion will be the first time two authors are working together to dominate Amazon’s charts. “Double Trouble just made sense to us,” Tee continues. “We’re currently collaborating on both our podcasts (MOREVI: Remastered and Chasing the Bard), both new titles are sequels to award-nominated books, and bottom line — we work well together.”
Dr. Tina B. Tessina, Ph.D., L.M.F.T., author of Money, Sex, and Kids and The Commuter Marriage (audio interview)
Fair Warning: We talk about SEX, Baby…
So, you may want to listen with your earbuds if younger ears are nearby. **Scroll down and click on gray arrow to listen.
Dr. Tina Tessina Ph.D., L.M.F.T, aka Dr. Romance, has been married 26 years and has over 30 years counseling experience. Join us as we have a casual honest conversation about money, sex, and kids–all possible stumbling blocks to a healthy happy marriage.
Money, Sex, and Kids: Stop Fighting About the Three Things That Can Ruin Your Marriage explores how to develop a relationship infrastructure to help us view our marriage as a partnership and learn to talk to one another and bring up difficult subjects in a way that won’t end up in a fight. Dr. Tessina offers insight, real-life scenarios, and practical solutions to the everyday challenges of married life. She says, “With a little information and practice, you can become a successful, happy couple. You’ll learn to understand why you and your partner argue and the remaining skills you need to enhance your relationship and transform your struggles into working together to create a smoothly working partnership. You’ll be able to resolve your issues about money, sex, and kids, and move on to having a workable, satisfying relationship, with minimal or no arguing or fighting.”
Dr. Tessina’s Words of Wisdom:
- “Part of marriage is teaching each other–you get to teach each other what works for you.”
- “If you develop partnership, your marriage is gonna work. If you develop an antagonistic relationship, then your marriage will struggle…and eventually you’ll probably get tired of the struggle.”
- “Think about your struggles as “problems to be solved” rather than who’s right and who’s wrong.”
- “Sex is supposed to be fun. It’s not supposed to be a drag.”