All Posts Tagged With: "publishing"
HELP A READER (and Author) OUT…
My partner, Tom Royce, and I are working on a new project to help “under-promoted” authors get their books in the hands of readers. Check it out at http://www.HopeForAuthors.com or by clicking the banner above and let us know your suggestions.
We’re looking for experts in publishing and social/digital media who are willing to share tips on how to successfully promote books and build authors’ brand. An interactive and reciprocal approach where we offer contributors a free e-book of Web 2.0 book marketing tools.
I found this video and thought it a PERFECT depiction of why Hope For Authors is so important.
WTM Author Promotional Services
As host of Words To Mouth (WTM), I receive countless inquiries and day after day, book after book, email after email, the same pesky question keeps nagging me; “How can I help support more ‘under-promoted authors,’ while maintaining the integrity of the valuable product I’ve worked so hard to create?”
I’ve received such glowing responses from authors, publicists, and readers and I absolutely love what I’m doing here at Words To Mouth. I’ve come to realize digital media—specifically, blogs and Internet talk shows (podcasts)—provide unparalleled exposure to book-lover niche markets that other media outlets simply can’t. Words To Mouth is unique from other biblio-sites, because it offers both an author interview blog and audio talk show. I’ve wracked my brain to come up with a mutually-beneficial approach to encourage more authors while maintaining Words To Mouth’s reputation…and balance my own time and efforts.
Here’s WHAT ~ A Two-tiered Promotional Program:
- Featured Authors: These highlighted authors/books are spotlighted scrolling at the top premier spot on the WTM website. You’ll most likely find these authors prominently displayed on your booksellers shelves–some well-known, some first-time authors. These author interviews are differentiated as “Featured Authors” and are posted without compensation. Readers love learning more about their favorite authors and these top-level authors help increase website traffic, which in turn increases lesser known authors’ exposure. It’s a win-win!
- Paid Promotions: “Under-promoted Authors” can take advantage of the WTM platform by choosing from three affordable options detailed below.
Paid Promotion Options:
- “Across Carrie’s Desk” Collection – Book Listing (Three authors per post MAX): This type of blog post includes up to three highlighted authors with the author name, book title & description, author website link, and book jacket image/Amazon link (so viewers can go directly to purchase your book). Viewers/Readers will enter to win the entire book collection. For a sample blog post, CLICK HERE Cost: $25 (which includes book shipping cost to contest winner).
- Author Showcase – A written author interview (See Authors Page for questions) with all the above referenced components, plus author headshot photo. If you have a video book trailer, be sure to send me the link. For a sample blog post, CLICK HERE Cost: $100 This is great for cross-promoting via “Check out my interview on Words To Mouth” links on social media sites like Facebook and Twitter.
- Customized Audio Interview – A minimum fifteen minute audio interview in the standard WTM format. For sample, CLICK HERE to LISTEN (See Authors Page for template questions, but you will have the opportunity to add/tailor questions specific to your book) Interview will post on Words To Mouth website, plus be distributed via RSS Feed to iTunes and multiple directories. Cost: $200 (Introductory Offer). Some options on how to utilize this interview are to: 1) provide link on author’s website and/or social media outlets, 2) include interview link in online press release, 3) use as interview practice for radio/TV interview spots, and 4) send as a demo for other radio/TV spots.
Added-Value at NO Additional Cost: WTM’s semi-regular e-newsletter is distributed to an ever-growing niche audience and connects you with even more interested readers. I also actively participate on various digital/social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads, etc. I post updates regularly to simply “join in the conversation” as well as encourage viewers to visit my site…and, in turn, your WTM blog post.
Special Offer: First 10 authors to sign up for the Author Showcase will receive the package for only $75
Here’s HOW to GET STARTED!
First Things First:
- Email me a press release or brief description of your book with a link to your website (Carrie@WordsToMouth.com).
- I will get back to you within 24 hours via email to let you know if your book has been approved. Then, you can simply follow the instructions below.
- I retain the right to decline any books. Hint: Romance, not Erotica ~ Sci-fi Thriller, not Horror.
Send Two copies of your book to: Carrie Runnals, 109 Meadowlark Trace, Peachtree City, GA 30269
For any of the Three Packages be sure to send me all pertinent information in an email attachment; .jpeg book jacket image, .jpeg headshot photo, website link, book description, and press release (if you have one).
If you choose the Author Showcase option, visit the Authors Page on my website and answer all/any questions you’d like included in the interview. I’m flexible and will work with you to include questions that are more specific to your book if you’d like. These questions are just a template to give you some ideas. We can work together to best convey your message to potential readers.
If you choose the Audio Interview option, please provide your phone number and I will call you about the questions you’d like included and schedule the interview. We can pull from the questions listed on the Authors Page as well as come up with some specific to your book, so we’re sure to convey what you’d like.
Don’t forget to provide payment via PayPal button on website or “snail mail.”
Just a Few Guidelines:
- Published Bound or Audio Books Only; no e-books, .pdf files, or unbound manuscripts
- If your book is in podcast format, you must make a CD package available for the book-giveaway contest
- Payments are due in advance via PayPal or check via “snail mail” postal service.
- Posts will remain on Words To Mouth for a year from publication with option to renew.
- I retain the right to refuse any books and edit interviews at my discretion.
Here’s WHEN: NOW!!
Why Wait? Seize the Opportunity! Don’t Miss Out!
**If you are interested in placing an ad on the Words To Mouth website and/or e-newsletter, please email me at Carrie@WordsToMouth.com
- Love in 90 Days by Diana Kirschner
- Walking in Your Own Shoes by Robert Schuller
- The Power of Who by Bob Beaudine
- God Is My Coach by Larry Julian
- Do-It-Yourself Hedge Funds by Wayne Weddington
- 8 Steps to Create the Life You Want by Creflo A. Dollar
- Going Gray by Anne Kreamer
- This Year You Write Your Novel by Walter Mosley
Enter to win by:
Commenting Below ~ That’s it!
You must be subscribed to the Words To Mouth e-newsletter to be informed of winners
U.S. & Canada mailing addresses only ~ No P.O. Boxes, Please
Deadline: January 30th 2009, midnight, EST
!! Best of Luck to You & HAPPY New Year !!
The following Words To Mouth friends have won free books:
- Ann – Kate Jacobs, Friday Night Knitting Club
- Anne – Mary Kay Andrews, Deep Dish
- Andrea H. – Carolyn Ellis, 7 Pitfalls of Single Parenting
- Carol L. – Debbie Gisonni, Vita’s Will
- Jody L. – A.M. Homes, The Mistress’s Daughter
- Kristi N. – Debbie Gisonni, The Goddess of Happiness
- Rochelle M. – Kate Jacobs, Friday Night Knitting Club
- Tina F. – Mary Kay Andrews, Deep Dish
- Marsha C. – Kate Jacobs, Friday Night Knitting Club
- Robin D. – Kaira Sturdivant–Rouda, Real You Incorporated
- Eileen D. – Debbie Gisonni, The Goddess of Happiness AND Vita’s Will
I entered your name for the specific books you listed in the subject heading of your email. Some people listed two books and some wrote “ALL,” so they were entered in a few different contests and some people won two books! CONGRATULATIONS!! If you entered for a specific book, but now want me to put your name in the hat for ALL future drawings, just send me a quick email. For example, I’ve got a few copies of Kate Jacobs’ new book, Comfort Food, that I’d think you folks who put your name in for FNKC would be interested in, but I don’t want to assume…
I promise there are NO strings attached to winning, but I’d appreciate you commenting on the book on the Words To Mouth website once you read it.
I’m sure the author’s would appreciate you writing a review on the Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or Books-A-Million websites—whichever you prefer (tell ‘em you won the book on Words To Mouth). But, again, NO pressure—I know we’re all busy and some people love reading, yet hate writing, so if that feels like a pain, don’t do it ~ just thought I’d throw it out as an idea to help authors.
I will be drawing names for the following books next:
- Jenifer Fox – Your Child’s Strengths
- Kate Jacobs – Advance copies of Comfort Food (& matching tote bag)
- Gary Seigel – The Mouth Trap
- Phillips, Linney, Pack – Safe School Ambassadors (Interview Coming Soon)
- Kaira Sturdivant Rouda – Real You Incorporated
This time, I’m asking folks to enter by doing one of the following:
- Leave a comment on the Words To Mouth website—under any book/interview of your choice,
- Write a brief review for Words To Mouth on iTunes, or
- Take the easy way out and send me an email with the title of the book (or “All”) in the subject heading,
Subscribe to Words To Mouth (link on my website) It’s really simple to do, just click on the GREEN music note (iTunes) or ORANGE button (other podcatchers) above my photo and you’ll get the show delivered automatically to your computer, so you can listen wherever and whenever you want.
If you enter one of the top two ways, I’m going to enter your name TWICE in the drawing. For those of you who do both of the top two ways, your name goes in twice for each method for a total of FOUR times. Of course, if you choose the top two options, please shoot me an email, so I know how to get a hold of you if you win! For you busy folks who just send me an email—that works, too—you’ll just have your name entered once. That’s fair, right?
**I’ve got 2 more copies of The 7 Pitfalls of Singe Parenting, which is obviously a book for a specific audience. If you know of anyone who is separated or divorced w/kids and may be interested in receiving this book, send me an email and I’ll put your name in the hat. If you win, you can give them the book as a gift ~ I’ll never tell!
I was playing around on Peter Bowerman’s Well-Fed Writer website and read his blog posts. His writing community shared about their writing careers and the most unusual writing jobs they’ve ever had. I shared the following post.
Wow! What a fun thread. It got me thinking about my own crooked creative & commercial writing path. I’d been a recruiter in my professional life prior to having kids and deciding to “quit work” to “stay at home”—a topic for another day.
I fell into writing when I queried a consultant on a concept I had for a line of greeting cards. I based the line on a caricature I’d been drawing for years and gave little thought to the verses I wrote to complement the illustrations. I was shocked at the consultant’s response. “The good news is your writing is excellent. The bad news is one look at that unpolished caricature and your writing will get tossed out without ever being seen.” Wow! That was tough to hear, but ultimately, it ended up landing me a contract for a signature line of greeting cards and kicked off my career as a commercial writer.
I picked up Peter’s book and started off on a quest to become the next well-fed writer. That path went everywhere from writing copy for a promotional restaurant table tent, ghostwriting children’s books, magazine articles, a Chamber of Commerce annual publication, to (don’t gasp, Peter) technical writing for the CDC. One of my favorite projects was researching and writing the content for a plastic surgeon’s website, though it did force me to focus far too much on my aging face there for awhile.